I.T. Support Specialist
Method of Instruction: Onsite or Online
Language: English or French
Course Duration: 30 Hours (10 Weeks of 3 Hours Each)
Establishment: Cestar Collège, Campus Sherbrooke
The IT Support Specialist Training Short Course is ideally suited for students who possess basic computer knowledge and wish to pursue an entry level job in Information Technology. Students in this course will learn a variety of IT skills ranging from Customer Support to Networking and IT Security that will provide them with the skills, techniques and knowledge so they can be a frontrunner for a variety of IT related positions such as Computer Support Specialist, IT Support Specialist or IT Helpdesk Technicians.
In this course, students will learn foundational hardware and software skills that will help them build, configure and troubleshoot computer systems. Specifically, students will gain thorough knowledge of hardware repair and replacement, Windows® and Apple® operating systems, troubleshooting, and networking, all skills required to start a career as an entry-level IT support technician. The program structure is flexible, enabling students to finish them at their own pace and from wherever they are. The course content is aligned to CompTIA A+ Certification exam objectives and students who complete the course will be well prepared to tackle and succeed in the CompTIA A+ certification exams after graduation. CompTIA is the gold standard for establishing a career as an IT professional and supports today’s core technologies from security to cloud to data management.
By the end of this course, students will have:
- The interpersonal and business skills necessary to succeed as an IT support specialist
- Thorough understanding of the tools and test equipment associated with IT support activities.
- Complete knowledge of how hardware and software work together in the operation of a PC and the ability to assemble a personal computer
- Proficiency in different types of removable media devices and their functions as well as the know how to maintain disks and systems
- Ability to recognize and replace a failed power supply
- Ability to solve basic computer problems and differentiate between the various threats against a computer system
- A deep understanding of various operating systems along with their characteristics and features, in addition to proficiency in the processes required to install hardware and software using WindowsⓇ and MacⓇ operating systems
- Thorough knowledge of how PCs communicate with each other as well as configuring routers, switches, as well as static and dynamic routing schemes
Course Schedule and Duration
30Hours - Beginner/Intermediate
Or Advanced Students can do the program at your own pace
July 7, 2023 - September 1, 2023 - Every Friday 4 hours
A detailed course outline will be provided at the beginning of class or upon request.
Method of Learning
A combination of online and onsite training tailored according to your needs to help you get the education you need at your own convenience
Course Prerequisites and Admission
While there aren’t any official prerequisites to learn how to become an I.T Specialist at the self paced level, we do recommend that candidates have 12 months of hands-on experience in a help desk support technician, desktop support technician, field service technician job role or equivalent knowledge. Students with no background in technology can follow our basic ITF+ Fundamentals Course + Certification or simply follow the Instructor led 32 week program.
A laptop or computer with internet access
Tech Requirements for Attending Cestar Online Classes
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 600kbps bandwidth (up/down).
- A Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a single core processor (at least 1 GHZ processing speed) or a smartphone/tablet with equivalent processing capabilities
- Good speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser - IE7+, Safari 5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Operating System - Windows XP, Mac OS 10.6, Linux distro based on 3.0 kernel, Android 5.0, iOS 10
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 1.5Mbps bandwidth (up/down). You can also connect to the internet directly using your ethernet cable to improve your experience.
- Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a dual core processor with at least 2 GHZ processing speed and a 4 GB RAM
- High Quality speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser & Operating System - We recommend using the latest version of the browser and operating system for an optimal online classroom experience.
What you will learn?
- Solving basic computer problems. Identifying and mitigating the different types of threats that any computer system will receive such as viruses, Trojan Horses, network breaches, etc.
- Complete understanding of various operating systems along with their defining characteristics and unique features.
- Become proficient in installing hardware and software using Windows® and Mac® operating systems.
- Thorough knowledge of hardware, software as well as the tools and techniques associated with IT support so you can easily assemble a personal computer and troubleshoot common issues.
- Identifying and replacing a failed power supply.
After graduating from computer science in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Nikola moved to Quebec, Canada to complete vocational studies for IT Expertise. He then took on a teacher assistant's role, and shortly after became a teacher himself. His skills revolve around computers in general, operating systems, system administration, network security and network architecture in addition to basic web development. On a more personal level, Nikola speaks 5 languages, he loves to travel a lot, enjoys producing music, and photography is one of his preferred hobbies.
Get started in I.T. today! Sign up while spaces are still available!
This short course is being offered at